by Mandee Gill
What is Yin yoga, anyway?
Yin Yoga is a meditative practice of slowly and gently stretching the connective tissue of the body. The slow stretching increases lubrication of the joints, range of motion, energy flow within the body, and decreases tension and chronic pain.
By holding poses for extended periods of time (generally 2-5 minutes, mostly seated and lying down poses) we create the opportunity for deep connection with ourselves and our bodies, unwinding long held tensions.
Why should someone incorporate Yin yoga into his/her practice?
Yin Yoga is the perfect companion for your more Yang vinyasa practice.
What can we expect at this upcoming class?
This intimate practice of yoga requires students to be ready to get in touch and personal with the self, with feelings, sensations and emotions, something that can be easy to avoid in a fast-paced yoga practice.
Some other benefits of Yin yoga are:
- Calming and balancing to the mind and body
- Regulates energy in the body
- Increases mobility in the body, especially the joints and hips
- Lowering of stress levels (no one needs that)
- Greater stamina
- Better lubrication and protection of joints
- More flexibility in joints & connective tissue
- Release of fascia throughout the body
- Help with TMJ and migraines
- Deeper Relaxation
- A great coping for anxiety and stress
- Better ability to sit for meditation
- Ultimately you will have a better Yang practice